Hair Post: Hair product junkie

 I've decided to let you all in on what I use in my hair and add some tidbits that I've discovered along the way. I'm not a hairstylist, or a hair product sales person so this is basically just my own opinions and point of view.

My hair.



It's a medium thickness and gets a little wavy. It's been color treated ever since 7th grade so I'm not sure what my natural hair color is but right now it's a auburny-brown color.
Since it's on the longer side and a little thick I got really lazy about washing it as the drying time took way too much time. Because of this I've now worked it down to a 2 day washing schedule (Wednesday & Sundays). So what I do on my off days is use a shower cap (thicker than the ones given at hotels) that cuts out the moisture and then occasionally i'll wash my bangs over the sink. I'll use some dry shampoo by the 3rd day and work a little more product into it. I use a imitation boar bristle brush that distributes the oils that can produce at the roots.
Now if your hair is baby fine thin, i'm not sure that this routine is for you but if you're hair is about medium to thick and even more so if it's color treated you can definitely do this too. The first few days are hard. Since you've been washing your hair everyday you're stripping the natural oils that your scalp produces making it work twice as hard to create more oil. Now, once you stop washing your hair, your scalp will eventually regulate itself and won't go into overdrive to produce these oils and you'll see that you're hair is less greasy more often. Most of my friends are into this same routine and they all have the prettiest, healthiest hair.

Color.



A few months ago I had my hair dyed a reddish-brown. I did this at a salon as i've heard can be a very tricky color especially if your hair is already colored and you have some roots growing in. The color I decided on was in the middle of the super orange and the bright reds. It was a copper red that was not super far off from brown.

Cut.



If you missed it, my hair was cut by none other than the lovely Christina from Second Skin style. Yes, no salon, or stylist was present! She basically broke me out of my routine of regular bang trims and hair trims every 5 months. Now I can maintain this cut all on my own with a pair of hair shears purchased at my local beauty supply store. Want my hair style? Check out this video of Christina cutting her own hair and giving you pointers on how to acheive loads of layers.

Products.

As much as I would like for you to think that I just wake up and have this perfectly tousled look all the time, that's sadly not reality. I use many products (not all at once!) and love to experiment with new brands. So, i've complied a little of what you can find in my bathroom these days.




Shampoo's & Conditioners
My main concern with my hair is to get as much volume as I can. So I start by washing my hair with any kind of volume boosting shampoo and sometimes even use the conditioner. Although, I usually like to get a conditioner that will protect my color or nourish my hair. My favorite shampoo so far has been by Lush, the Big shampoo which contains sea salt, seaweed and lemon juice. It leaves my hair in a super soft, and gives it so much volume you'd think I was from Texas (and I can say this because my hairstylist was from Texas and always teased me about wanting big hair).

1. A|G thikkwash volumizing shampoo
2. Simply Organic Volume Hair & Scalp Wash
3. Pantene Full & Thick conditioner
4. Lush "Big" shampoo
5. Fekkai Full Blown Volume shampoo
6. Giovanni Direct leave-in conditioner
7. Simply Organic volumizing & thickening treatment

Styling products
So once my hair is washed and conditioned I like to help it reach it's maximum fullness by using a few volume boosting products. The David Babaii Root Amplifier is really one of the best "volume" boosting products i've come across. It's Sulfate, Paraben and Petroleum free as well as not being tested on animals. I use this on damp hair just before drying or I will even use it on my non-washing hair days on dry hair to add some volume and thicken my roots. The Psst dry shampoo has been by far the most longer lasting dry shampoo i've tried but unfortunately they've discontinued the Brunette hue so I'm trying to find one that's comparable and won't turn my roots ashy.

8. David Babaii Volcanic Ash root amplifier
9. Fekkai glossing serum
10. T3 Orlando Pita Plump spray
11. Interactives Ends repair serum
12. Pssst Instant Spray shampoo




13.a.Nutri Color Creme, Brown
13.b. Nutri Color Creme, Copper Gold
14. Mop c-system finishing paste
15. Interactives Anit-hair loss tonic
16. Equave Volumizing spray in conditioner
17. Nioxin Bliss Thermal Protector
18. Simply Organic Hair & scalp sealer
19. Ojon Restorative Hair treatment
20. A|G split end repair serum
21. D.Fi Beach bum texturizing spray
22. David Babaii Bohemian Beach Spray
23. Sally Hershberger Wave Spray
24. John Frieda thickening lotion

When I mentioned using color treatment conditioners, one that I will use almost everytime are the Nutri color creme color balls from Revlon Professional. This thick conditioner is highly pigmented with color that you may even mistake it for dye. I'll usually mix a small amount with one of my regular conditioners (see top picture) to dilute it a little and keep it in my hair for the rest of my shower duration.
As you can guess i'm on the hunt for the perfect beach wave spray. Ever since they discontinued the John Frieda Bleach blonde surf spray I haven't been able to find one that does quite the same thing. The Sally Hershberger Wave Spray is pretty darn good.

A day in the life of.

I just want to repeat that I DON'T use all these products at once! Not even close. But here's a typical day of what I would use like say, on Wednesday when i'm scheduled to wash my hair:
Start with (4.) Lush Big shampoo, and follow up with a combination of (13.b.)Nutri color creme in copper gold  and (7.) Simply Organic volumizing treatment. Wash every thing out and spray (18.) Simply Organic hair & scalp sealer everywhere. Use a dab of (20.) A|G split end repair on ends and (8.) David Babaii root amplifier on roots and rub it all in. Blow dry hair upside down. Work a small amount of the (14.) Mop finishing paste through roots and spray (21.) D.Fi texturizing spray on the rest of the hair scrunching it. And then i'm usually finished.
                              

Questions? Leave me a comment or email me. I'll try to answer any questions you may have although if it's for finding any pf these products, my answer will be "google". If you have access to the internet (if you're reading this, I know you do), simply google any product seen here and you'll come up with numerous results! My personal favorite place to buy hair/beauty products is Ricky's NYC. And I believe that they do have online shopping. I know I'm probably forgetting soemthing but for now this post is so huge that I can't even think of what else to include!


Popular Posts

Quirky New Lingerie Gift Ideas

kristen s archives collection of erotic stories

Chair Jean Shafiroff Hosts Southampton Hospital's 53rd Annual Summer Party