Five questions Friday
O.k, so I missed last Friday's feature, did you notice? you did! oops! So sorry about that, I thought since I'd posted a few more things that I'd be able to fool you into forgetting all about it!
Here's this weeks round of questions:
1. I saw somewhere that you're 5'2. I'm the same height, but I feel like you making being short look so good! How do you dress to feign height? (Because heels, short skirts, etc...I feel like I've tried every conventional trick in the book, but I'm wondering how YOU do it!)
This question is so funny to me! You wouldn't believe how much I struggle to not look like i'm drowning in my clothes! I cut them up, pin them back, hem them sometimes too short etc... I find that if I'm buying something vintage/thrifted it's guaranteed to be too long/big, so I automatically throw it in a "to hem/alter" pile. I try to get to that about once every 3-4 weeks or so.
I find that places like Forever 21 are geared to younger girls which means shorter hemlines! I rarely have to touch/alter any of their items. When I shop there I do keep in mind that I am NOT a young girl and try to keep to grown up prints and easy pieces like florals skirts (which by the way, they have some really nice ones out for Spring right now!)
2. How did you learn to sew?
At first, my mom taught me. I was always asking her to hem my pants because they were ( are still) always too long. Then when I had some time I took a night class were you learned how to sew an A- line skirt with a zipper. I'd love to take more classes but unfortunately time is not on my side these days.
3. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
Well, lets start with where I have travelled to:
- Europe: France, Amsterdam, Belgium (for a quick beer)
- India & Andaman Islands
- Hawaii (does that count?)
- Barbados
- Mexico
I'd love to travel to:
- Spain
- Indonesia
- Ireland
Hmm, probably alot more places as I love to travel but those places are my top right now.
4. What did you do while living in Vancouver?
I guess I'll start by explaining to my new readers, I used to live in Vancouver, BC before moving to NYC. I lived there for about 9 years and loved every minute of it!
As for what I did, I was really into snowboarding for the first few years, so I'd try to get to the mountains as much as I could.
After that passion died down, I started really enjoying discovering the obscure spots that Vancouver has to offer. It helped that my boyfriend at the time was open to anything. In fact, I remember him wanting to take me to this place called Pigeon park after we grabbed some steamed buns from chinatown. Well turned out that on this particular day it was being occupied by volunteers feeding the homeless. So everywhere we looked homeless men & women were just frolicking all over the place with their free food. At the time I was furious and didn't even know why he wanted to sit in that park at all, but I think it's now something that we look back on and laugh about. In fact we went a few months after that little failed date and it was quite nice.
Here's this weeks round of questions:
1. I saw somewhere that you're 5'2. I'm the same height, but I feel like you making being short look so good! How do you dress to feign height? (Because heels, short skirts, etc...I feel like I've tried every conventional trick in the book, but I'm wondering how YOU do it!)
This question is so funny to me! You wouldn't believe how much I struggle to not look like i'm drowning in my clothes! I cut them up, pin them back, hem them sometimes too short etc... I find that if I'm buying something vintage/thrifted it's guaranteed to be too long/big, so I automatically throw it in a "to hem/alter" pile. I try to get to that about once every 3-4 weeks or so.
I find that places like Forever 21 are geared to younger girls which means shorter hemlines! I rarely have to touch/alter any of their items. When I shop there I do keep in mind that I am NOT a young girl and try to keep to grown up prints and easy pieces like florals skirts (which by the way, they have some really nice ones out for Spring right now!)
2. How did you learn to sew?
At first, my mom taught me. I was always asking her to hem my pants because they were ( are still) always too long. Then when I had some time I took a night class were you learned how to sew an A- line skirt with a zipper. I'd love to take more classes but unfortunately time is not on my side these days.
3. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
Well, lets start with where I have travelled to:
- Europe: France, Amsterdam, Belgium (for a quick beer)
- India & Andaman Islands
- Hawaii (does that count?)
- Barbados
- Mexico
I'd love to travel to:
- Spain
- Indonesia
- Ireland
Hmm, probably alot more places as I love to travel but those places are my top right now.
4. What did you do while living in Vancouver?
I guess I'll start by explaining to my new readers, I used to live in Vancouver, BC before moving to NYC. I lived there for about 9 years and loved every minute of it!
As for what I did, I was really into snowboarding for the first few years, so I'd try to get to the mountains as much as I could.
After that passion died down, I started really enjoying discovering the obscure spots that Vancouver has to offer. It helped that my boyfriend at the time was open to anything. In fact, I remember him wanting to take me to this place called Pigeon park after we grabbed some steamed buns from chinatown. Well turned out that on this particular day it was being occupied by volunteers feeding the homeless. So everywhere we looked homeless men & women were just frolicking all over the place with their free food. At the time I was furious and didn't even know why he wanted to sit in that park at all, but I think it's now something that we look back on and laugh about. In fact we went a few months after that little failed date and it was quite nice.
5. Since you're french Canadian, I'm curious, do you have an accent?
No, for as long as I can remember I've been bilingual. In fact, when I was starting kindergarden, I was constantly reminded that I could only speak french at school since it was a completely french school. I had been so used to speaking english with my daycare provider that I was not use to speaking so much french. I worked on perfecting my english and now people are surprised when I do speak it fluently.
Have a great weekend everyone! I have aot of knitting to catch up on and hopefully post them up in the shop by Sunday.
