What to wear...to the office
I'd like to introduce to you a new feature here on Idée Géniale! Every week or so I will give you my tips and suggestions on what to wear to a certain place/event/function. If you would like to send me your inquiry, feel free to do so, or just leave a comment in this post with what you'd want to see for the next one.
Here's what sparked this idea of mine. I received this question and I had so many ideas as to what I wanted to say and show that I couldn't simply just answer it by itself. I get this type of question frequently and I am aware of the struggles one can face when needing to customize their wardrobe just for work.
Here is the question:
I work at a professional company that doesn't allow you to wear jeans. I'm normally a jeans a tshirt type girl and i'm finding it a little hard to dress/find clothes that are professional looking yet still fashionable, comfortable, and not too matronly. Do you have any suggestions for work wear? THANKS!!
I broke it down into key pieces that are interchangeable with each other to offer the most usage out of every item.
1. The Pencil skirt.
The blazer has made a comeback in a big way. It adds class to any outfit. These ladies definitely got it right, paired over a great work appropriate dress. Make sure that the blazer fits snuggly and isn't too long or else you risk trying to look too businessy. Your best bet is to try and find one in the boys department (if you're small enough) or take it in at a tailor for proper fit.
For my take on the fitted blazer, please visit here.
Photo credits: Jaylovesvintage (left), Selective Potential (right)
3. Pleated Trouser
Here's what sparked this idea of mine. I received this question and I had so many ideas as to what I wanted to say and show that I couldn't simply just answer it by itself. I get this type of question frequently and I am aware of the struggles one can face when needing to customize their wardrobe just for work.
Here is the question:
I work at a professional company that doesn't allow you to wear jeans. I'm normally a jeans a tshirt type girl and i'm finding it a little hard to dress/find clothes that are professional looking yet still fashionable, comfortable, and not too matronly. Do you have any suggestions for work wear? THANKS!!
I broke it down into key pieces that are interchangeable with each other to offer the most usage out of every item.
1. The Pencil skirt.
A pencil skirt is such an easy way to go, plus it enables you to be alittle creative with your outfit by letting you choose the top. Here you see two different ways to wear it, one more casual paired with a long sleeve top and the other (right) paired with a lace blouse. Pencil skirts can easily be found in thrift stores, mostly high waisted ones that you can either choose to keep at knee length or shorten to right above the knee. Either way, it's such a great versatile piece!
Photo credits: chictopia (left), Delightfully Tacky (right)
2. Fitted Blazer
For my take on the fitted blazer, please visit here.
Photo credits: Jaylovesvintage (left), Selective Potential (right)
3. Pleated Trouser
If you're more into jeans and the thought of skirts, tights, dresses is making you nausious, don't worry, there's still hope. For a pant alternative, try a pleated trouser. The secret to making these work is that they should be cropped and fitted towards the ankle. Anything else could look a little too menswearish. Pair them with a girly blouse to balance it out (right) or if your going high waisted, try tucking in a lightweight top/sweater (left). These look best with a loafer or oxford as footwear.
For my take on the pleated trouser, please visit here.
Photo credits: Little Sassy Fashionista (left), LeProust Vintage (right).
4. The Dress
The no fail work appropriate item is a dress. I chose these two for similar reasons actually. On the left we have a cute printed dress that might be a summer look but paired with tights, a cardigan and cute t-strap maryjanes, turns it into a office appropriate outfit. Just keep in mind that the print should be small and not overbearingly loud/bright. On the right we have a great jersy (=comfty) dress, but spiffied up with a great belt, classic coat and maryjanes turns it into a clean, professional look.
Remember, I'm taking suggestions for other events/settings/ functions.



